Building Permit Information
Planning on remodeling that old house? Time to finally build that addition or finish the basement for the extra space you need? What many people don’t realize is that most home-improvement projects require a building and/or trade permit from the township. Along with state construction codes, there are many local ordinances that can regulate elements of a home-improvement project.
Here are some answers to questions regarding permit requirements. Please contact the Community Development Department directly with any questions or for exact construction code regulations.
- A homeowner may secure permits for work he/she is performing on the home where they reside.
- State law requires that a licensed contractor secure permits for renovations to dwellings or structures where the homeowner does not reside.
- Make sure your builder is licensed, insured, and has obtained the necessary permits. You can call the State to verify past complaints about a contractor at 900-555-8374.
- Excavation for any structure, the erection of, addition to, or alteration of any building or structure shall not occur until a permit is secured. Building or trade permits are required for all additions or alterations with the following exceptions:
- Accessory structures under 200 square feet
- Minor electrical repairs and maintenance (as determined by the Township Inspector)
- Minor mechanical repairs and maintenance (as determined by the Township Inspector)
- Minor plumbing repairs and maintenance (as determined by the Township Inspector)
- Painting, carpeting, or other finish work (as determined by the Township Inspector)
- A prefabricated pool less than 24 inches in depth
- Re-Roofing 2nd layer only (tear-off requires a permit)
- Sidewalks or driveways
- Swings and playground equipment
- Window awnings supported by exterior wall
- Retaining walls under 4 feet in height
- Excavation will require a soil erosion permit or waiver and can be obtained from the Delhi Township Community Development Department.
- Existing roof coverings must be removed when roof has two or more layers of any type of roofing material.
- Construction plans are required.
- A site plan (PDF) which indicates the property lines and all building dimensions must be submitted with the permit application.
Application for permits must be submitted to the Community Development Department for review and approval. Required applications and code forms are available on the online forms page or contacting the Community Development Department at 517-694-8281.
Applications for new construction may be filed at the Community Services Center between the hours of 8 a.m. and 5 p.m., Monday to Friday. Requests for new construction inspections may be called in from 8 a.m. through 5 p.m., Monday through Friday. If requesting after hours, all messages left on the "inspection request line" are typically scheduled within a 24 hour period.